Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Small Fry

I just finished coaching my two sons in small fry baseball for the season. We had a rather young team with a bunch of new faces. Usually that makes for a long season but this one just flew by. The new kids were such a joy to be around. They understood the game of baseball and just loved playing it. There skills haven't caught up with their intentions yet but that will come. What was really refreshing to me was the parents of these children. They were truly involved with what their child was doing. They were supportive of their child whether they failed or succeeded and even though sometimes they may not be as "in" to playing ball, they made sure that they were there. The parents were also very supportive of the other coach and me during games and always willing to chip in and help. I hope these parents continue to do this with their children because I think this attitude and approach is what is necessary to have successful children and in the long run successful schools. The success of our small fry team was not solely the responsibility of the other coach and I. We merely presented to the boys how to play the game. The parents and coaches working together is what made it successful. School is the same way. It takes all of us working together for our children to be successful.

No comments: